What authorities suspected has been confirmed: Peaches Geldof died of a heroin overdose.
During an inquest in Kent, pathologist Peter Jerreat said that the daughter of British rocker Bob Geldof had puncture wounds on her elbows, wrists, and thumbs, and also noted that traces of codeine, methadone, and morphine were found in her system, reports the BBC. According to Jerreat, the levels of heroin in her body were in the "fatal range."
The 25-year-old socialite and TV presenter's body was discovered on April 7 in her home in southeast England. Police discovered 6.9 grams of heroin in her home, and indicated at the time that there was no sign of suicide or foul play.
During the hearing it was revealed that the mother-of-two had struggled with addiction to heroin in the past and had been taking the substitute drug methadone for over two years. Though the treatment helped for a while, she relapsed in February, her husband, S.C.U.M. rocker Thomas Cohen, said. The musician also noted that Geldof had been taking weekly drug tests for the last two years.
It was Cohen who first discovered her, already deceased, on the bed in a guestroom of their home after he had spent a weekend away with their eldest son.
"I found her in the spare bedroom," Cohen explained at the inquest. "We both used it when the kids were sleeping." He also added that he now suspects his wife had been lying to him about her weekly drug tests being clean.
This now appears to be a sad case of history repeating, as Geldof's mother, Paula Yates, died of a heroin overdose in September 2000, when Peaches was just 11. Geldof leaves behind her husband and two young sons, Astala, 2, and Phaedra, 1.
Shortly after her death, Cohen remembered Peaches as his "beloved wife" and promised to bring up their sons "with their mother in their hearts every day." Hopefully now they can put this tragedy to rest and begin moving forward.